Saturday, October 20, 2007

Enloe Article [Yoo, Week 7, Substantive]

What can ever be done in order to create a world where men and women are truly equal? I agree with Enloe in that people have the tendency to under-estimate the complexity of women-hood. Enloe says that although all women are affected by the international debt, it doesn't affect all women in the same ways or same degrees. Personally, when I heard this, I feel as if women who are less affected by international debt - due to their stronger and more powerful husbands, are seen as being less sexually institutionalized than those working in sweatshops. I mean, this is what I would like to think. An American suburban soccer mom is suffering less from sexism than a prostitute in Sri Lanka, right? I feel as if women in the US have great political power - aren't they more likely to vote? And aren't women voters actively courted by politicians? Essentially, I cannot offer an opinion of this gender thing Enloe is talking about. I am confused and do not understand what she is saying. The end.

No comments: