Thursday, November 8, 2007

Class 11.6 Reflection {Volpe, Week 11, Dialogue}

In Tuesday's class Steph discussed major ways we think of globalization in terms of the economy, technology, culture, transnational problems, and citizenship. The notions of an interconnected world market impacted by the instantaneous flow of information across state boundaries where cultural imperialism came into play was not new to me. The idea of global citizenship was, however, new . Unlike many of the other students in the class, I have never really thought of myself under the universal mentality of being a global citizen. Perhaps its the fact that I have not travelled extensively or that I personally don't have many connections outside of the U.S. In hindsight, its interesting to see how globalization has so intimately impacted each of our lives but more so to see the ways that as individuals, we are reluctant to acknowledge how it has shaped us.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you think one can be a global citizen? What might that entail?

laurenvolpe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
laurenvolpe said...

Honestly, I find the idea of a global citizen to be an overly lofty way of saying " I am above those who have nationalistic inklings because, yes, I care about the world. "

If you have not lived abroad, I find it difficult to believe that you could possibly be a global citizen. Unless you are immersed in a culture, political system, or society that is very different from that you are accustomed to, you will only be able to identify with others through what you have seen (TV/ computer clips) or read (journals, books, newspapers, magazines, etc). Although those aspects are all well and good- I don't believe they are enough to justify that you are a global citizen. It mainly just means you are well-read. . .